Saturday, May 28, 2011

Fulya's story

As membership chair of RJOS (Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society-named in honor of the first woman orthopaedic surgeon in the US...names..yes you guessed it..Ruth Jackson), I get to review all the membership applications. I am always amazed by the variety and quality of the young woman who are interested in Orthopaedics. 2 years ago in New Orleans, I had the opportunity to meet Fulya. She told me that the male Turkish Orthopaedic surgeons at the meeting were all asking where her husband was (he is an orthopaedic surgeon) and she proudly told them "I win scholarship". I had the chance to sit and talk with her several times. This let to an exchange of email addresses and then an exchange of emails. I have become a mentor/advisor for her. Much to my surprise, she thought Vietnam was more exciting then Wichita!!!. She has an excellent command of English and an absolute joy of living. We should all approach life with her enthusiasm. She was my roommate..can reset a wireless router, bargain for goods, shop til she drops (and I don't think she reached that point!) and make friends with everyone. Her orthopaedic knowledge is incredible for someone completing medical school. She will make a great resident for which ever program is fortunate enough to accept her. This week, she saw pathology, sutured and ...held a scalpel! I wish her luck..and she added much to this trip. Her new sister is Andrea from Monterrey Mexico. Her story will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment