Friday, May 20, 2011

Red Dao Traditional Herbal Medicine Bath

After spending the first two days of my Vietnam trip in Hanoi, yesterday we took the night train to Sapa for some free time and trekking. I wake up to one of those magical mornings. The view from the train window was totally breath taking and when the sun rose colors became more vivid. 
We arrived at Lao cai at 5:30 and it took us an hour to go to Sapa. After breakfast and some rest we went out for trekking. It was some vigorous walking for hours to and back to Cat cat. After lunch we went to see the silver waterfall and red dao village which consisted more walking. Before we left for the waterfall I was craving for a massage. Our very nice tour guide told me about a red dao traditional herbal medicine bath which relieves your tension and makes your skin look beautiful.  I decided to give it a try before we return to Hanoi.
After finishing everything on our list, our last stop was a massage salon. I was thinking that it is going to be a wooden bath tub filled with herbal medicine water but instead it was a wooden barrel! Just like the ones you see in the western movies. It took some time for them to get the water ready and then I was all alone with my barrel. I jumped from a chair into the bath. It smelled like rice and plants.  I sit in the barrel for 30 minutes to get the most out of the bath.
The staff was kind enough to offer me some green tea while waiting for other`s treatments to be finished. We had a little chat and he told me that this herbal medicine bath is unique treatment only available in Sapa. I enjoyed the herbal medicine bath and if you ever travel to Sapa you should give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment