Friday, May 27, 2011

An Introduction to My Story in Vietnam (By Fulya)

I would like to introduce myself to the people who did not have a chance to meet me. My name is Fulya and I am a brand new doctor from Istanbul/Turkey. I graduated from Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical faculty (www.ctf.edu.tr) and awaiting to start my ortho residency. I can hear you saying what are you doing there and how do you know Dr.Shields. Please be patient. All your questions will be answered.
Ever since I started med school I dream about the day I become an orthopaedic surgeon. All through the school I spent most of my free time volunteering in the ER or in the clinic to get some more bone and joint stuff in my life. In 2007 by chance I meet my current advisor Dr.Muharrem Inan  and it was one of the best things that happened to me through my journey. The other is to meet Dr.Shields. After meeting him my interest became more serious and I started to be a part of the research projects that he is doing. I also spent some time in US at different institutes where I did some research and also learned a lot from those experiences.
I am a student member of Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society (www.rjos.org). Their main goal is to support and promote women`s role in orthopaedics. In 2010 I received a medical student travel grant from them to attend their meeting and also a workshop which was held in New Orleans. I had the chance to listen to Dr.Shield`s talk at the meeting and the day after I had the chance to meet her at an AAOS meeting which I literally sneaked in with Dr.Alvin Crawford`s help. She was really nice, friendly and supportive which is an attitude that I am not really used to. We talked all night and we exchanged our email addresses. After that I wanted to do an elective at KU in Wichita and she was really helpful about that. Unfortunately it took some time to complete all the requirements and I ended up not doing it because there was a conflict between our schedules. At some point I learned that she will be going to Vietnam to volunteer and I asked her if I can. She said yes without hesitation and after a lot of emails and arrangements I found myself in Hanoi operating with all these wonderful people.  Now I am having a life changing experience which you are reading through our blog.
Here I am with the members of the team and director of Orthopaedic Research Institute with flowers from lovely mothers of our patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment