Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Travel

Have made it back to Hanoi from Dien Bien Phu. Dien Bien was a whirlwind. We arrived from Hanoi Sunday afternoon (about 4), went straight to the hospital for a "small" clinic of 37 patients. At 730 or so, we went to the hotel, had dinner, and collapsed into bed. Wide awake at 5 am..equal to 5 pm my time. Monday we did 11 cases, saw a few more patients and managed to arrive at the hotel by 7 so I was asleep by 930 and awake again at 430-5. Tuesday we did 9 patients and saw more patients, to the hotel about 630 but then we were going to dinner with the hospital. Was awakened about 5 am by a drunk pounding on my door, ringing the door bell and in general not going away. Enough that I was getting concerned after 10 minutes and called the front desk. They said "okay, okay" to my request they send someone upstairs. No one came but he suddenly looked at his key and went away (there was a convenient little spy hole in the door). So I could not go back to sleep! Did a little workout in my room, email, etc. Back to the hospital, 3 cases, ward rounds reviewing with the local Vietnamese doctors the treatment plan for all the patients and then we went to lunch and then the airport. Uneventful flight (yes, I know this whole trip of uneventful flights is hard for all of you to imagine in connection with me name..but yes, uneventful flight). Back to the hotel in Hanoi where I have met up with Fulya, the now graduated Turkish medical student who will be joining us for the next 10 days. Tomorrow, we will play tourist in the morning, work with Dr. Toan in the afternoon and then head off to Sapa by overnight train. Sapa is beautiful. Check it out. Will be back in Hanoi very early Sunday morning. Sunday will be a big day as this is the National Assembly election. The city is draped in red flags, banners and various political announcements. On Monday we will go to the Orthopaedic Rehabilitation Institute where we will work next week and then to Viet Duc. Saturday is the seminar and then I fly out about 1130pm to arrive back in Wichita on Sunday. Am very glad that Monday is Memorial Day and I can recuperate!

No comments:

Post a Comment